Papa told me, ‘Mail for you!’ and I naturally thought of
them and wondered which one it was this time and felt guilty for a bit because
I need to write them back.
But the letter was in my own hand, cramped tall letters like
a manmade forest of red pines and I gazed at it perplexed for a few seconds
Wondering why it had been returned to me.
Had I forgotten the postage?
But no, it wasn’t the postage, for there it was in faded
blue ink like the sky right now, how it’s trying to decide what it means to be
seeped in darkness
It was addressed to me.
I ripped it open with force usually reserved for passionate
speeches where I feel like I might rip open my chest because it hurts so
And there was my cursive
I stared again.
Then I started to read, and when I was done I was a leaky
firehose
All that pressure stored up and only a few drops get loose
No comments:
Post a Comment