Monday, September 9, 2013

Standing at the Bus Stop Wishing For You


And the breath from my mouth leaves in a twist
A swirl of smoke that is immediately swept up
In the exhaust fumes that coat the street
In a shimmering river of fog.

And I ask myself how it came to be
That this life of mine got so tangled
And then I think of you
And your face and laughter and that fall
That fall we taught each other to dance
The waltz in my little room
With the posters on the walls.

I lost my voice long ago but still
My lips open wide and my breath whooshes out
A song for you, my darlin’.
One I didn’t know was for you
Until it forced its way from between my lips
A flightless bird desperate to soar

And I sing and suddenly
Without any premonitions
I can hear myself
And my voice rings clear over this barricade
Of noise and dirt and tires
I feel as if I have wings
And you have finally taught me
How to dive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment