Monday, September 9, 2013

The Pen and The Bottle


I stole it, and the pen, and not even in the dead of night. 
It was early morning - I was working on thank you letters
Dear you thanks for the blah hope to see you soon love maeve
I took it like I have taken everything else
In broad daylight
Under the nose of the owner

This time that nose was sharp
It’s lucky I inherited it
And I got away with the tiny bottle
But that was years and years of dipping before today

And the pen is beautiful, bronze where my fingers have rested
The nib slightly bent I admit
Much nicer than the bottle, the red ink
That dries brown.
And the stickers that once covered it
Now crusted over with my accidents
The times I spilled it over my sheets

And – yes – when my mother came to change
My sheets she saw the red brown
And she thought I had hurt myself
I – am sorry I did not correct her.

And the smooth bottom of the glass feels
Like the hollow of my little sister’s ear
But dirtier – and younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment